Hi, my name is Bilal Negash and I'm a first year student. This isn't the first time I am writing a blog. I've previously made one in my last year of high school English. It wasn't as successful as I hoped it would be, mainly because I had only posted ONCE. I guess it was due to a lack of dedication for the material. I intend to fully commit myself to blog once a week for the rest of the semester, letting you know my personal impressions and feelings about this course.
First off, I'd like to quickly mention that I really like Professor Heap as our lecturer. I can tell that he is very enthusiastic about the material and is really passionate about computer technology in general. I am looking forwards to a wonderful semester in the course with him.
Secondly, I'd like to discuss DrRacket, a programming application used for the course. I've personally had some programming experience in the past with Visual Basics, but I've got to say I really like DrRacket. Mainly because the computer language interface is really user - friendly. Although the language may seem weird at times, ex. putting + or - signs at beginning of code, it makes sense, in retrospective, that it is tedious to put multiple signs when there are a lot of numbers. One problem that I encountered when fooling around with DrRacket was trying to define a variable. After watching the " expressing values tutorial videos," I wanted to see if it was possible to define a variable, "image-area," by multiplying two default definitions "image-width" and "image-height." With no luck, I was unable to figure this out. But, I realized that we weren't expected to know how to define variables yet, since the upcoming DrRacket videos involved definitions. I guess curiosity got the better of me. In order to better prepare myself for this course, I shall look through the picturing program pdf. and understand how to properly define and express variables.
This is all I have to say for my first blog. This is a wonderful and engaging class and I hope everyone is able to benefit from this course as much as I hope too.
Having some VB experience will definitely lower your barrier to entry for Dr Racket. Glad you're enjoying it! And sometimes with programming it's fun to let curiosity get the best of you, trying things out can be quite an adventure.
ReplyDelete