Friday, 1 March 2013

Wiki ... Part 2

I guess I never mentioned doing a part 1 for this assignment. Anyway, I'll mention it now. For Part 1 of this assignment, we had to find possible wiki pages that we would like to edit.

This week I primarily focused on devising an outline for my Wikipedia Assignment (Part 2). I am working on a wiki titled "Video Game Controversies." Basically, I had to detail methods on how I would be able to edit grammar and add citations in accordance to Wikipedia guidelines. I was seriously surprised to find tiny references to coding when I was reading Wikipedia's instructions on how to properly add footnotes. For example:

When you want to add a footnote to a cited source on the page, I would need to have to follow the following format Multiplayer games transcend boundaries between cultures. . <ref> Doodles, Alex. Multiplayer and Culture''. Harvard University Press, 2010, p.10 .</ref> It.... Words like <ref> and </ref> I assumed signaled the beginning and the end of the citation, but I found it very interesting to see that Wikipedia had it own method to of coding. This makes it easy for everyone to follow a certain format and always receive a desired outcome. I am starting to see that coding is a universal aspect that tries to simplify everyone's lives.

Great lesson learned, and another great week of CSC104, looking forward to next week!

1 comment:

  1. Yup, Wikipedia uses a bunch of markups to make its pages that much more awesome. Good to see you dug into that a little bit!

    ReplyDelete